Sunday, 4 March 2012

My DIY Arduino MIDI controller - 0. Intro

Hello there,

A few months ago I decided to get a new MIDI controller. I browsed Thomann, Audiofanzine and various sites but I couldn't find a controller satisfying my needs. During my search I stumbled upon many Arduino projects that I found interesting, and I thought I might give it a try, though I knew nothing about electronics, and very little about programming.

I will post here the various stages of the creation process. I have no idea whether I'll succeed in this task or not but I thought it might be interesting to share...


The project:
After spending some time on the Internet learning how to master the basics of the Arduino world, my idea has evolved quite a lot, I even forgot what I wanted to do in the first place but where I'm heading at at the moment is: I want to build a MIDI controller that uses different kinds of sensors rather than common potentiometers. It has to be playful though and I don't see myself playing music with a temperature sensor. So the only sensor that seemed easy enough to use for a first project, and still be playable in a live situation, was the light dependent resistor (LDR). I am planning to use 4 of them, a couple (or a bunch) of rotary potentiometers, a slider potentiometer (always good to have a fader for master volume), and buttons to act as pads to trigger sounds, and why not a Playstation-like thumb joystick, because they spring back to the middle like a pitch wheel.

Next: 1. The Arduino >>

No comments:

Post a Comment